From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: "No CUDA device found" with nvidia-drivers newer than nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1(
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 12:02:36
1 On 08/15 11:39, Corentin “Nado” Pazdera wrote:
2 > August 15, 2018 1:16 PM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > The wiki-page is old...it speaks of nvidia-driver-174.
5 >
6 > Yeah, for legacy cards... If you check the history its also been updated quite frequently.
7 >
8 > > modprobe.d/nvidia.conf:
9 > > ----------------------------
10 > > # Nvidia drivers support
11 > > alias char-major-195 nvidia
12 > > alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
13 > >
14 > > # To tweak the driver the following options can be used, note that
15 > > # you should be careful, as it could cause instability!! For more
16 > > # options see /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1/README
17 > > #
18 > > # !!! SECURITY WARNING !!!
19 > > # DO NOT MODIFY OR REMOVE THE DEVICE FILE RELATED OPTIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW
20 > > # WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
21 > > # ONLY ADD TRUSTED USERS TO THE VIDEO GROUP, THESE USERS MAY BE ABLE TO CRASH,
22 > > # COMPROMISE, OR IRREPARABLY DAMAGE THE MACHINE.
23 > > options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432 NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27
24 > > NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1
25 > >
26 > > modprobe.d/nvidia-rmmod.conf
27 > > ----------------------------
28 > > # Nvidia UVM support
29 > > remove nvidia modprobe -r --ignore-remove nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset nvidia-uvm nvidia
30 > >
31 > > All the configurations are working all the years up to x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1.
32 > > After that, no CUDA device was found.
33 > > Based on logical reasons, I would tend to think, that it is something
34 > > version specific and no global setting which is valid since
35 > > nvidia-driver-174.
36 >
37 > Updates may need to change a config file after bringing breaking changes, it might not be the cause
38 > I agree. But its possible.
39 >
40 > Is CUDA disabled on both cards? I have a 970Ti, although my MB is different, we might try to
41 > compare the big differences in our systems?
42 >
43 > --
44 > Corentin “Nado” Pazdera
47 ...sorry, I am no native speaker...I dont understand.
48
49 I did not know how to disable CUDA on both cards.
50 So...since it works perfectly with the old driver I would think:
51 No, CUDA is enabled (or at least the old driver does this for me).
52
53 Then I do an "emerge <new nvidia-driver-version>" and CUDA stops
54 working. I do not change anything else nor do I know, who/what could
55 disable CUDA on both cards ... except for the driver itsself.
56
57 This is weird.
58
59 Again, for logical reasons I think, that the culprit is either the
60 driver itsself or a missing (and therefor undocumented) configuration
61 step needed for the new drivers.
62
63 The cards are not "old" in any sense.