From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:31:25
1 On 31/07/13 19:40, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-07-30 8:30 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 06:36:57AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote
4 >>
5 >>> Side question...
6 >>>
7 >>> I want to run the vmware tools on my gentoo VM (so the host can safely
8 >>> power it down), but it also requires modules.
9 >>
10 >> Why do you need vmware tools? From the host, execute...
11 >>
12 >> ssh root@<guest> /sbin/poweroff
13 >
14 > Two reasons this isn't sufficient...
15 >
16 > 1. Extended power outage
17 >
18 > If my UPS sends a shutdown command to the host, I (obviously) want it to
19 > safely shutdown ALL running VMs.
20 >
21 > 2. Manual host shutdown
22 >
23 > I have my hosts configured so that if I press/release the power button,
24 > the host goes through a full power down process. I (obviously) want this
25 > process to also initiate safe shutdowns on all running VM's.
26 >
27 > I do not want to have to SSH in and manually run a command to
28 > uncooperative VM's first, I want to just be able to press/release the
29 > power button, and have the host safely shut down all running VMs, then
30 > itself.
31 >
32 >> ...or, if you have sys-power/hibernate-script installed, and want to
33 >> hibernate...
34 >
35 > This is a server. I always completely disable hibernation on servers
36 > (doesn't everyone?)...
39 Actually there are some good reasons to do it in certain cases,
40 especially on servers not up 24/7 (backup systems/cool standbys, fast
41 shutdown required, ...). You can bring systems down or online a lot
42 faster. Not everyone has/needs 24/7, or wants to pay the power bills
43 for running a machine that may have no users/work for over a weekend or
44 longer, but wants it up and running on demand.
45
46 BillK