From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:53:14
1 On Mon, July 15, 2013 09:39, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 14 Jul 2013 23:35:50 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > On 08/07/2013 17:39, Paul Hartman wrote:
6 >> >> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Paul Hartman
7 >> >>
8 >> >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> >>> ST4000DM000
10 >> >>
11 >> >> As a side-note these two Seagate 4TB "Desktop" edition drives I
12 >> bought
13 >> >> already, after about than 100 hours of power-on usage, both drives
14 >> >> have each encountered dozens of unreadable sectors so far. I was able
15 >> >> to correct them (force reallocation) using hdparm... So it should be
16 >> >> "fixed", and I'm reading that this is "normal" with newer drives and
17 >> >> "don't worry about it", but I'm still coming from the time when 1 bad
18 >> >> sector = red alert, replace the drive ASAP. I guess I will need to
19 >> >> monitor and see if it gets worse.
20 >> >
21 >> > Way back when in the bad old days of drives measured in 100s of megs,
22 >> > you'd get a few bad sectors now and then, and would have to mark them
23 >> as
24 >> > faulty. This didn't bother us then much
25 >> >
26 >> > Nowadays we have drives that are 8,000 bigger than that so all other
27 >> > things being equal we'd expect sectors to fail 8,000 time more (more
28 >> > being a very fuzzy concept, and I know full well I'm using it loosely
29 >> :-)
30 >> > )
31 >> >
32 >> > Our drives nowadays also have smart firmware, something we had to
33 >> > introduce when CHS no longer cut it, this lead to sector failures
34 >> being
35 >> > somewhat "invisible" leaving us with the happy delusion that drives
36 >> were
37 >> > vastly reliable etc etc etc. But you know all this.
38 >> >
39 >> > A mere few dozen failures in the first 100 hours is a failure rate of
40 >> > (Alan whips out the trust sci calculator) 4.8E-6%. Pretty damn
41 >> > spectacular if you ask me and WELL within probabilities.
42 >> >
43 >> > There is likely nothing wrong with your drives. If they are faulty,
44 >> it's
45 >> > highly likely a systemic manufacturing fault of the mechanicals (servo
46 >> > systems, motor bearing etc)
47 >> >
48 >> > You do realize that modern hard drives have for the longest time been
49 >> up
50 >> > there in the Top X list of Most Reliable Devices Made By Mankind Ever?
51 >>
52 >> An update: the Seagate drives have both continued to spit more
53 >> unrecoverable errors and find more and more bad sectors. Including
54 >> some end-to-end errors indicated as critical "FAILING NOW" status in
55 >> SMART. From what I have read that error means the drive's internal
56 >> cache did not match the data written to disk, which seems like a
57 >> serious flaw. The threshold is 1 which means if it happens at all, the
58 >> drive should be replaced. It has happened half a dozen times on each
59 >> disk so far (but not at the exact same time, so I don't think it is a
60 >> host controller problem -- and other disks on the same controller and
61 >> cable have had no issues). They have also been disconnecting and
62 >> resetting randomly, sometimes requiring me to pull the drive and
63 >> reinsert it into the enclosure to make it reappear. It happens even
64 >> after I disabled APM, so I know it isn't a spin-down/idle timeout
65 >> thing. Temperatures are actually very good (low 30's) so they are not
66 >> overheating.
67 >>
68 >> I think I will try to trade them in to Seagate for a new pair under
69 >> warranty replacement. And then probably try to sell the replacements
70 >> and be rid of them.
71 >>
72 >> Meanwhile, during that experiment, I bought 2 brand new Western
73 >> Digital Red 3TB drives last week. No problems in SMART testing or
74 >> creating LVM/RAID/Filesystems. I have now been running the destructive
75 >> write/read badblocks tests for 24+ hours and they have been perfect so
76 >> far, exactly 0 errors. They are more expensive (3TB for the same price
77 >> as the 4TB seagate) and slightly slower read/write speed (150MB/sec
78 >> peak vs 170MB/sec peak), but I value reliability over all other
79 >> factors.
80 >>
81 >> These Seagate drives must have some kind of manufacturing defect, or
82 >> perhaps were damaged in shipping... UPS have been known to treat
83 >> packages like a football!
84 >
85 > I've been watching this thread with interest, because I've been trying to
86 > find
87 > out which HDD I should be buying for a new PC. For every person reporting
88 > problematic Seagates there's another person complaining about Western
89 > Digital
90 > being too noisy, failing, or in the case of the black versions, far too
91 > expensive.
92 >
93 > Amidst all the anecdotal aphorisms against one or the other manufacturer,
94 > I
95 > saw mentioned that the likelihood of failure doubles up when you go from
96 > 1TB
97 > to 2 TB. If true, I guess that the 3TB would have fewer failures than 4TB
98 > drive.
99 >
100 > For what it's worth I have had a number of Seagates failing on me, but
101 > since
102 > this was in the 90's. On my laptop a Seagate Momentus 7200.4
103 > (ST9500420ASG)
104 > is running fine for the last 3.5 years so, I was thinking of taking a punt
105 > on
106 > a 'Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA'. But
107 > what you're mentioning here gives me cause to pause.
108
109 I usually tend to avoid comments about one brand or the other.
110 Due to some bad experiences in the past with some brands, and not many
111 issues with WD (only 1 dodgy drive, more details further in this email) in
112 the past couple of years, I use mainly WD-drives.
113
114 I currently have quite a few WD RED 3TB drives in use and these are quite
115 reliable. Even in a not-so-optimal climate. (Gets really hot where they
116 are, room temperature has been above 30C for the past several days)
117
118 In the previous location (yes, moved the server), there were more 30C+
119 days and the old servercase got kicked a few times by accident. This lead
120 to 1 WD green (1.5TB) out of 6 to end up being unreliable to the point
121 where this drive is as reliable as a car with water in the fueltank...
122
123 I also found the REDs to be a little more expensive then "regular" drives
124 and a lot cheaper then the Raid Edition drives.
127 Joost