From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: multilib - do I need it?
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:46:17
1 On Friday 03 Apr 2015 17:48:38 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 2015-04-03, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 02:12:40PM -0300, Francisco Ares wrote
5 > > >
6 > > >> Hi,
7 > > >>
8 > > >> How does one know previously which packages will require 32 bit ABI ?
9 > > >>
10 > > >> I have two systems (among others) to consider: one is very simple,
11 > > >> built using as fewer packages as possible, it is the development
12 > > >> system for an embedded equipment, and it is 64 bit ABI only - no
13 > > >> multilib; the other is a general purpose workstation, with lots of
14 > > >> packages, and someday, by some forgotten reason, I needed to install
15 > > >> emul-linux-* .
16 > > >>
17 > > > Can you attach your /var/lib/portage/world file to a post here? I
18 > > >
19 > > > assume you have nothing embarressing in it. Almost all applications
20 > > > that used to require 32-bit emulation now run natively on 64-bit
21 > > > no-multilib. I recently upgraded a 7+ year old machine from 32-bit
22 > > > Gentoo to 64-bit-only Gentoo (no-multilib) and I don't have any apps
23 > > > with problems as 64-bit only.
24 > >
25 > > The only two 32-bit apps I've run into on my various XFCE machines are
26 > > grub-legacy (which requires a 32-bit ncurses lib), and acroread (which
27 > > requires 100+ 32-bit libraries).
28 >
29 > hmmm, I have 7 emul-linux86 packages, but portage did not offer to
30 > replace them when I checked today for a world update -- I didn't want to
31 > remove them manually, I thought it might do more harm than good. I am
32 > not sure whether I need any 32-bit libraries, although I do have
33 > multilib enabled, but I wonder about those emul-linux-x86 packages. Any
34 > way for me to tell what is going on here such as dependencies on 32-bit
35 > libraries?
36
37 Try this perhaps:
38
39 for EMUL in $(eix -I --only-names emul-linux); do equery depends $EMUL; done
40
41 unmerge them and the run 'emerge @preserved-rebuild'. Portage will then tell
42 you which 32bit packages you will need to add in your package.use file with
43 the 32 bit ABI flag.
46 Regards,
47 Mick