From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wicd and net-tools
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 00:47:36
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
3 >
4 > The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
5 > for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
6 >
7 > Neither of these have helped me.  Wicd cannot start either the
8 > wired or wireless interface.
9 >
10 > When I type
11 > killall dhcpd; dhcpd
12 >
13 > Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
14 > by ifconfig).  Also sometimes the network goes down again.
15 >
16 > Two days ago both networks were solid.
17 >
18 > Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
19 > installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
20 > under wicd today (worked fine two days ago).  For this machine
21 > killall dhcp; dhcp
22 > reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
23 > The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
24 > all was well 2 days ago.
25 >
26 > Help would be very much appreciated.
27 >
28 > thanks,
29 > allan
30 >
31 > PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
32 > testing.  Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
33 > update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
34 > have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.
38 Not to be too glib but isn't this sort of problem exactly what the
39 whole stable vs ~amd64 decision is really all about?
40
41 Anyway, my machines are stable with a few ~amd64 entries in
42 package.keywords. I don't keyword either of these packages and I have
43 wicd-1.7.1_beta2-r4 & net-tools-1.60_p20110409135728 on my laptop.
44 Both wireless & wired come up fine here.
45
46 I have dhcpd on the machine but I don't run it.
47
48 Not exactly sure how any of that will help you but I'm fully up to
49 date as of today and everything seems to be working fine.
50
51 - Mark