From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange dmesg output - RESOLVED
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:55:47
1 On Tuesday 27 October 2009 09:10:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > You enabled scrollback so now the console has retained enough of the kernel
4 > console output that you can scroll back to the beginning without using all
5 > 128K.
9 > Symbol: VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE [=256]
10 > Prompt: Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
11 > Defined at drivers/video/console/Kconfig:37
12 > Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && VT && VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK
13 >
14 > Symbol: VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK [=y]
15 > Prompt: Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
16 > Defined at drivers/video/console/Kconfig:22
17 > Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && VT && VGA_CONSOLE
18
19 Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that on my
20 system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a command,
21 e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I cannot scroll
22 up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that I need to set up in
23 the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different machine?) I used to be able to
24 scroll up in both.
25
26 $ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SCROLLBACK
27 CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK=y
28 CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE=128
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick