From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New network cards default to "Y" with "make oldconfig"
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 02:04:17
1 > On Mar 23, 2019, at 21:03, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > When setting up a new kernel with "make oldconfig", almost all new
4 > device drivers default to "N". The glaring exception is network cards.
5 > They all seem to default to "Y". Is this a bug or a "feature"?
6
7 This has been a 'feature' for a while. I find it very annoying.
8
9 I suppose the idea is to not have users get annoyed that their network card can't be used after building a (generic) kernel. And they consider it justified since network connectivity is crucial to get things done. More for the Ubuntu users than everyone else.