From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:05:07
1 On 26/09/14 11:47, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 26/09/14 11:22, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:27:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> I buy machines with one ethernet interface. What I find
7 >>>>> particularly annoying is this doublespeak about calling it
8 >>>>> "predictable". Before the change, it was predicatbly "eth0". Now,
9 >>>>> it's different on every different model.
10 >>>> It's not doublespeak, the interfaces are named exactly according to
11 >>>> where they are on the PCI bus. If you had two interfaces, they show up
12 >>>> to the kernel in random order by time and sometimes eth0/eth1 are nto
13 >>>> the same they were before the reboot.
14 >>> That may be true for PCI devices but not for USB ones. If you unplug a
15 >>> USB device and plug it back into the same port, it will get a different
16 >>> device number. The naming is more predictable, but it's not there yet.
17 >> That doesn't sound right. If unplugging a USB net device and plugging
18 >> it again *in the same port* results in a different device *name*, then
19 >> it is a bug and should be reported; the description of the algorithm
20 >> in [1] sounds like it should get always the same name for the same
21 >> port, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
22 >>
23 >> Regards.
24 >>
25 >> [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n51
26 > I've seen this happening once on a cheap laptop with a stripped down
27 > BIOS I can't
28 > even recall brand for, it had a kludge in the BIOS settings for
29 > hotplugging, turning
30 > it off, allowed the port to remain same, turning it on, some machine
31 > specific code
32 > gets executed and the kernel interprets the same port as different port
33 >
34 > Bad hardware, bad hardware settings, maybe missing exception for that
35 > particular
36 > hardware type in the code that determines the name... I'm not sure, I
37 > don't have
38 > the machine anymore
39 >
40 > - Samuli
43 Later kernels *can mark interfaces predictable in a new form of
44 metadata*, and udev >= 209 can
45 pick that information up, and then it won't do anykind of userspace
46 renaming on it, since kernel
47 has declared the interface name to be steady...predictable...always
48 same, so I hope
49 we are moving towards kernel assigning predictable names for all drivers
50 and we can get rid of
51 the userspace renaming of interfaces all together at some point
52 I really believe this is a task for the kernel to provide predictable
53 names, and all this userspace
54 renaming is just a bandage we can hopefully soon rip off
55
56 - Samuli