From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} which fs on 1.8TB partition
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 20:09:30
1 On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 19:11:42 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > > mdbox? Is this a single file per mail folder?
4 > >
5 > > It's multiple mails per file and multiple files per mailbox.
6 > >
7 > > > The main reason I switched to maildir several decades ago was
8 > > > precisely the issues (by design) mbox has.
9 > > > A single corrupted email WILL kill the entire folder.
10 > >
11 > > https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
12 >
13 > Interesting, but I still consider multiple emails inside a single file
14 > a recepy for disaster.
15
16 It increases the risk, but by how much? The wiki page doesn't give any
17 indication of how many mails are stored in each file. Is is 5 mails per
18 file or 5 files per mailbox?
19
20 > The following is another cause for concern:
21 > "This also means that you must not lose the dbox index files, they
22 > can't be regenerated without data loss. "
23
24 I was concerned about that but further reading indicates that these files
25 hold only metadata. You may lose information on which mails have been
26 read or flagged but the mails are still there.
27
28 It also adds complication at the MDA level as procmail and friends can't
29 simply save the mail in a directory. On the other hand, Dovecot is mature
30 and well used software to these concerns have probably already been
31 addressed somewhere.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Blessed be the pessimist for he hath made backups.