From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VERY OFF TOPIC - change sparse data to daily data
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:34:35
1 On Nov 15, 2007 5:58 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > 071115 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > I have a data file with data that changes infrequently.
4 > > The file lists only the day the data changes.
5 > > There are only 144 lines representing 23 years of data.
6 > > There are three values for the data - 1, 0 & -1. The file looks like this:
7 > > 09/27/74, 1
8 > > 07/11/75, -1
9 > > 08/01/75, 1
10 > > 03/12/76, -1
11 > > 04/02/76, 1
12 > > 05/07/76, -1
13 > > 06/04/76, 1
14 > > I need to turn this data into a file with the same format
15 > > but one that has data for every date, something like this:
16 > > 09/28/74, 1
17 > > 09/29/74, 1
18 > > 09/30/74, 1
19 >
20 > I would do it with Vim, mainly 's' & 'q'. It would probably help slightly
21 > if you used international date format: '1974-09-27' etc. HTH
24 Thanks for all the answers. They were interesting.
25
26 After I wrote to this group I wondered if there was a way to do this
27 in Open Office so I wrote to t. Turns out in the Calc there is a
28 simple function called VLOOKUP. Put the original table in one area,
29 create a long list of dates from 1974 through present in another area
30 and have VLOOKUP find the right date and value. The whole process took
31 about 5 minutes once I was directed to the functions.
32
33 Again, I appreciate the responses.
34
35 - Mark