From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:04:42
1 meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > I plan to "convert" (==reinstall) my system to be 64bit.
4 > Since I have an already working and configure 32bit Gentoo-
5 > system I would like to do the migration as follows:
6 >
7 > Create another / partition somwhere on my harddisk
8 > Install/Create a new 64bit Gentoo root there.
9 > If everything works fine: Delete 32bit-/ and move (cp -a or something
10 > like that) the 64bit-/ onto the now empty 32bit-/.
11
12 I would mount -o bind / /mnt/binroot and cp -a or something /mnt/bindroot
13 to the 32bit-/, so you don't copy things as /proc and /dev as well.
14
15 > BUT:
16 > Are there any -- especiall system-related -- binaries or such,
17 > which get an hardcoded compiled in, so they would fail to work
18 > after / is moved to another place than where it was created?
19
20 No. The path would still be the same, whatever the underlying device is.
21
22 Wonko