From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes + extra-ciphers...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:39:31
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Chris Walters wrote:
2 > | This is the point where I start to ask for a citation and stop
3 > | listening to theoretical possibilities and things that might
4 > | possibly could be. Unless of course the exact meaning of phrases
5 > | like "three hundred thousand million years" has a different meaning
6 > | in your universe than it does in mine.
7 >
8 > Whom are you asking for a citation from?
9
10 I'm asking you to back up your totally unsubstantiated assertions that
11 the NSA et al can rapidly crack decent cryptography
12
13 > For which particular facts?
14
15 Pick any one you like from your contribution to this thread. My
16 favourite would be this one:
17
18 "A final thought: It is a fact that both the US Navy and the NSA are
19 *very*
20 interested in cryptology and data security. The NSA also does have
21 large
22 networks of supercomputers that, using parallel, distributed or
23 concurrent
24 computing principles can crack keys more quickly than you may think."
25
26 Now that's a pretty definite statement you made there. So, how quickly
27 do you think I think they can do it? And how quickly can they actually
28 do it?
29
30 >  Do you really doubt that the US NSA has a *lot* of supercomputers?
31
32 Not at all, in fact I would hazard an educated guess that the NSA is the
33 largest consumer of supercomputers in the world, and also that they are
34 very reluctant to advertise the fact. I doubt any of their machines
35 appear on the Top500 list.
36
37 I say this as a natural deduction from knowing what they are mandated to
38 do and how they would realistically go about doing it.
39
40 >  Do you really doubt that they have experts in mathematics,
41 > cryptology, cryptanalysis, and cryptography experts on staff?
42
43 Not at all, I would be stupid indeed to doubt that. As evidence, one
44 only has to look at the vast amount of technical literature the NSA has
45 published on the subject.
46
47 > Or
48 > perhaps you doubt that they can crack any keys at all...
49
50 Don't get smart with me, jackass.
51
52 Everyone here who knows a bit about cryptography knows that give enough
53 time and resources any key can be cracked.
54
55 I asked you to do a perfectly reasonable thing. You are asserting that
56 the NSA can crack keys quickly, much quicker than the average geek
57 thinks they can do it, but you provide no evidence of this other than
58 your own assertion of it. You didn't even give any evidence of why I
59 should consider you a credible and knowledgeable person in the field.
60 Extraordinary assertions require extraordinary evidence and all that.
61
62 I see 4 scenarios here:
63
64 1. You are perfectly correct and can back it up. In which case I'd like
65 to read the evidence.
66 2. You are perfectly correct and have the evidence but cannot show it to
67 me due to national security or NDA. That's fine, but do say so.
68 3. You are presenting your knowledgeable hunch/gut feel/opinion/hearsay
69 evidence as fact. that's also fine, but do say so.
70 4. You are simply making stuff up in varying degrees.
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
77 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list