From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sound hosed after running python-updater
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 16:54:13
1 on Monday 09/01/2008 Matthew R. Lee(gentoo@××××××××××.org) wrote
2 > On Monday 01 September 2008 12:23:03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > Matthew R. Lee wrote:
4 > > > Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice,
5 > > > because of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was to
6 > > > run python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of which
7 > > > was alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.
8 > >
9 > > This should fix it:
10 > >
11 > > revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask
12 > >
13 > > the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you hear
14 > > "link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time. It
15 > > will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.
16 >
17 > I ran revdep-rebuild last night after the big reemerge it didn't pick anything
18 > up. Just to be sure I re-ran it when I got your email. I doesn't want to
19 > rebuild anything.
20
21 I discovered that python-updater can emerge obsolete packages because
22 it tries to emerge exactly what it had before, so when running it,
23 emerge by hand without the = sign and the version numbers -- works
24 much better that way.
25
26 Not sure if this will help, but possibly.
27
28 Don't know how the alsa stuff got in python-updater, never heard of
29 python bindings for that.
32 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
33 How do
34 you spend it?
35
36 John Covici