From: "Aleksandar L. Dimitrov" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] new install - X fails
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:04:37
1 On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 23:43 -0400, JD wrote:
2 > Thanks, Alex. I had to run 'installer' from commandline. Went with the
3 > recommended setup; got an Exception that the dialog says "this is a Bad
4 > Thing" ...
5
6 Um, that's really no nice thing. You could try filing a bug or the like.
7 Better yet: search the forums and existing bugs, probably someone has
8 encountered similar issues. It is rather strange that the installer even
9 loads the GLcore... but yes, probably for showing off with the live CD.
10 I have never used it, but maybe you could read the manuals and try
11 disabling this. I don't know whether or not this is supported.
12
13 > I've done it twice, gotten to this point, and whether I choose
14 > 'yes' or 'no' to the prompt at this point, the system hangs, with no choice
15 > but to start over. So, the stage 3 installer for 64 bit looks hosed. I'm
16 > afraid its back to the Minimal CD and building the system again from
17 > scratch.
18
19 You could still try to insert the Minimal CD in your current system,
20 then edit the xorg.conf. Or just proceed with the install with it,
21 although this could still leave your system in a strange state. Probably
22 --sync-ing and -DuvaN-ing world after adjusting make.conf could suffice
23 for the task. Re-emerging -Du xorg-server could also help.
24
25 > I really hope the developer's can get this resolved... I was
26 > perfectly happy with stage1 and building from scratch back in the beginning.
27 > This 'helping to get a system up faster' just isn't working when it comes to
28 > gentoo...
29
30 Actually Minimal Install is using stage3 by now and that's the only
31 supported one. It's really quite unproblematic to get a working system
32 within not more than an hour (of your work) and a day's work (by the
33 computer ;) )
34
35 But then again, I'm afraid I'm totally unfamiliar with the graphical
36 installer and just guessing :).
37
38 Regards, Aleks
39
40 > -----Original Message-----
41 > From: Aleksandar L. Dimitrov [mailto:aleks_d@×××.de]
42 > Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:13 PM
43 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
44 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new install - X fails
45 >