From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fed up with Xorg + hal mess [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:03:46
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> pk wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> I hate to say it this way, but hal just plain sucks. I may play with it
11 >>>> some later but I'm getting sick of hal big time. It's starting to
12 >>>> really leave a bad taste in my mouth.
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>> Then you might like this:
16 >>> http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2009/Notes#head-75cccc4e4968dd043dcf2166dff61afd7d0d06c5
17 >>>
18 >>> I know I do... :-)
19 >>>
20 >>> Best regards
21 >>>
22 >>> Peter K
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >> Well, I hope whatever replaces hal is easier to configure. Then again,
28 >> I can't really imagine it being any harder tho. I haven't played with
29 >> it any since my last post. I just don't feel like getting ticked off
30 >> right now. Trying to play with hal tends to do that pretty quick.
31 >>
32 >> Right now, I'm in the new KDE 4. Trying to let it grow on me a little.
33 >> It is getting better tho. ;-) I can tell they are working on it and
34 >> adding new stuff and fixing old stuff too. I'm still trying to figure
35 >> out how to get a root Konsole tho. All I see is a user one. Oh well.
38 > Alt-F2
39 > type "kdesu konsole" into the box
40 > press enter
41 >
42 > :)
43 >
44 > I believe the root konsole shortcut was removed from KDE4 because
45 > running entire sessions as root is discouraged in general... you can
46 > always add it to the menu if you miss it.
51 I'll give that a try. I tend to restore a saved session anyway. uhhhh,
52 I couldn't find the option to edit the menu like in KDE 3. It used to
53 be in Applications then Settings. The updating tool is there but not
54 the editing one.
55
56 Dale
57