From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:48:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:09:40 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Read the kernel docs on initramfs, you'll then understand that this is
5 >>> not true.
6 >> Point is, they are the same to me. Both stand between grub and the
7 >> kernel and add yet one more point of failure. I'm not going to nitpck
8 >> on the difference between them since I view both in the same way.
9 > They are not the same. Your stating that they are the same to you is
10 > effectively saying "I know what I believe, don't bother me with the real
11 > facts".
12
13 They are the same to me as yet one more point of failure that I DO NOT
14 want. I have dealt with those in the past and I don't want either of
15 them and I don't care of it is called "cute teddy bears" or whatever.
16 My point still stands, it is one more thing between grub and the kernel
17 and I don't want it.
20 >>> Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
21 >>> some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
22 >>> previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
23 >>> always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
24 >>> reinstallation doesn't come into it.
25 >> Provided that the old one works tho right? What if I update and it
26 >> breaks more than one thing? Then what?
27 > That's got nothing to do with the kernel, initramfs or separate /usr.
28 > Once init is running, all that is history, it's done its job. If
29 > something subsequently fails, it has nothing to do with mounting /
30 > and /usr (which is all the initramfs does).
33 If I select what to boot in grub and it fails, there I sit. If I try
34 another and it fails, there I sit. I have enough issues at times
35 already. I don't want one more that already has a bad, VERY bad,
36 history with me. I have enough fun with the kernel at times.
37
38 >>> This isn't even as close as comparing apples and oranges.
39 >> To ME, a init thingy is a init thingy. That's why I call them all init
40 >> thingys. To ME, both are apples. One may be green and another red but
41 >> both are still apples.
42 > Please, don't ever offer to feed me :-)
46 You would be surprised, I am one heck of a cook.
47
48 Dale
49
53 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!