From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 07:43:34
Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
<<< SNIP >>>
> I'm a little confused: you log in KDE as a regular user, open a > Konsole, type "su -", and what happens? > > What do you mean with "Konsole won't even try to come up"? > > In the shell that Krusader provides (which I assume you run as a > regular user), what it's the result of "which su"? And also, what > happens when (inside the shell from Krusader) you run /bin/su? > > If not for the fact that you say that in a virtual console su works, I > would be willing to suggest that your initramfs never does the > switch_root, and so you end up with the minimal / from the initramfs, > and your normal /usr. That would be beyond bizarre, but if you *can* > use su in a virtual console, then it should be there. > > I usally log in in GNOME, open a gnome-terminal, and set a fixed > number of tabs in gnome-terminal where I "su -", and work as root in > there. I also can run an X11 program as root with "su -lc > /usr/bin/gedit", but I almost never do that (although it works; I just > checked). > > I don't think I understand how do you use su. Could you explain it to > me, please? > > One last thing: create a directory /tmp/whatever, and inside it > unpack your initramfs: > > zcat /boot/init-thingie | cpio -i > > Could you do a "ls -R /tmp/whatever" so we can see what actually ends > up in yout initramfs? > > Regards.
Actually, I log into KDE as a user and when Konsole opens, it asks for the root password. I have the KDE session saved so it opens all this on its own. Anyway, since I have it set that way, Konsole never opens, I assume because it can't find the su command. I have been doing it this way since back in the KDE3 days. It has never done this before. I finally got around to rebooting to check on this, hence the delay in replying, and found this in the boot up process, the stuff that scrolls up the screen. I'm having to type this in since it is NOT in dmesg or the logs but just printed on the screen. dracut: switching root switch_root: failed to mount moving /dev to /sysroot/dev: Invaild argument switch_root: forcing unmount of /dev switch_root: failed to unlink dev: Directory not empty INIT: version 2.88 booting Keep in mind, the three middle lines with the problems are NOT shown in dmesg, messages or anywhere else but the screen. I had to boot with nox to even see this. This is what ticks me on this mess. With the way it logs things, you better hope you got video buffer to scroll up with or you don't get to see the failure. Also, while booted with the init thingy, I made sure the real / partition was mounted. It shows sda3 was mounted and based on the space used, I believe it. I got to clean out some old kernels pretty soon. ;-) I'm attaching the results from the ls command. It's a bit lengthy. o_O Thanks. Sorry for the delay. Dale :-) :-) -- I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words! Miss the compile output? Hint: EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

File name MIME type
ls-whatever text/plain