From: Billy McCann <thebillywayne@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot boot 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:25:46
1 On 7/17/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > This must have been the first time in many years that I cannot boot a
6 > kernel.
7 > I mean I cannot boot it at all! It just spins the disk at Booting
8 > kernel . . .
9 >
10 > Since I built this from a 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 .config file using make
11 > oldconfig,
12 > so I am not sure what's gone wrong. The only relevant change that I
13 > recall
14 > was setting the ACPI for IDE module which I have unset since, but it still
15 > will not boot.
16 >
17 > Any ideas?
18 > --
19 > Regards,
20 > Mick
25 Hi Mick. From what I understand, using oldconfig for major version changes
26 (.20 -> .21) is a bad idea. Here's what I did. It may be slow and stupid
27 but it worked like a charm.
28
29 Open two root terminals and navigate one to /usr/src/linux (which should be
30 symlinked to your new sources) and navigate the other to /usr/src/linux-
31 2.6.20-gentoo-r8.
32
33 Run make menuconfig in both terminals. The root terminal that is in
34 /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-gentoo-r8 will display your config for your old
35 kernel. You'll be able to compare your old configuration to the new one
36 graphically by simply comparing the menus in the root terminals that you
37 have side by side. Well, I used a new tab within xterm, same thing I guess.
38
39 LIke I said, maybe slow and stupid, but it worksforme. :)
42 Billy Wayne
47 #end_transmission#
48 #earth_creature#