From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 01:29:34
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Jeremi Piotrowski
2 <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > This discussion has been going on ever since the kernel was first
5 > conceived, and some matters are still not entirely clear.
6
7 Honestly, I don't think they'll be any consensus on this argument
8 until a court makes some kind of ruling. That isn't likely to happen
9 anytime soon. And I suspect that any ruling that gets made will be
10 wrong in any case. But, it will at least have the force of law so
11 that even though you're wrong you can at least use it to ruin lives
12 with statutory minimums.
13
14 I don't really see a lot of profit in going back and forth on this.
15 I've had arguments on the lists with Greg KH over similar issues.
16 People have strong opinions, and there isn't a lot of case law, and
17 that makes for long arguments. In the end people choose to believe
18 what they believe. If you want to go with authority you're probably
19 best off sticking with the opinion you already have and you'll be in
20 good company. Personally, I've never really cared that much whether
21 others think I'm right or not... :)
24 Rich