From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] equery depends ----> Invalid db entry:
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:45:54
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:52:03 +0100
3 > Marc Joliet wrote:
4 >
5 > ..[snip]..
8 >> Relevant snip from the manpage:
9 >>
10 >> depends <local-opts> pkgspec
11 >> This command displays all dependencies matching pkgspec.
12 >> <local-opts> is either or both of:
13 >> -a, --all-packages search in all available packages
14 >> (slow) -d, --direct search direct dependencies only (default)
15 >> -D, --indirect search indirect dependencies (very slow)
16 >> --depth=n Limit depth of indirect dependency tree to n
17 >> levels. Setting --depth=0 is the same as not specifing --indirect.
18 >>
19 >> So "equery depends" expects a package name, not a file name. What
20 >> exactly are you trying to do?
21 >>
22 >> --
23 >> Marc Joliet
26 > Hello Marc,
27 >
28 > Right you are, I was using the wrong command.
29 >
30 > If I recall, last night I wanted to find which package _provides_ a
31 > given file. Obviously the file in my sample, i.e. /etc/init.d/samba,
32 > is from net-fs/samba but the general question remains: How does one
33 > find the package from which a file came?
34 >
35 > Regards,
36 >
37 > David