From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LC_ locale settings for UK / GB.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:48:45
1 Hi there,
2
3 I want to try burning a DVD using k3b and when it starts up it
4 complains:
5
6 System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
7 Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
8 filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
9 has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at
10 all.
11 An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data
12 projects.
13 Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
14 environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
15 take care of this.
18 Googling "LC_* environment variables" turns up this doc:
19 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#doc_chap3
20
21 I assume this document is correct & up to date?
22 (and is not superseded by the LINGUAS="en_GB en" that I have in
23 make.conf)
24
25 This doc refers to a /etc/env.d/02locale file - I assume I have to
26 create that by hand? The file does not exist at present. I guess this
27 is the kind of thing I'd kinda expect you to create by symlinking to /
28 usr/share/linguas/England or something.
29
30 Finally, does anyone have the correct LANG and LC_COLLATE settings for
31 the United Kingdom, please? I assume that again something starting
32 "en_GB" is used.
33
34 Do I need to set ALL LC_* variables (the guide lists 9 of them) or
35 just those 2?
36
37 This server is headless, so I'm using X11 over ssh - kcontrol's left-
38 hand pane is blank.
39
40 Thanks in advance for any help,
41