From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:08:33
1 On Jul 27, 2013 4:44 PM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > First hint: it's a mess -- don't do it on a critical machine.
4 > (My main machine is ~amd64 and that's why I'm doing it on virtual
5 > ~amd64 machines first.)
6 >
7 > The new gnome-shell demands that systemd be installed, even if you
8 > don't intend to use it.
9 >
10 > The latest systemd conflicts with udev because the udev project
11 > has been rolled into systemd, which now provides all of the files
12 > previously installed by udev.
13 >
14 > Therefore your machine will still boot without udev because systemd
15 > installs all the udev files. You don't need to start or use systemd
16 > if you don't want to, but the systemd package must be installed
17 > *before* you reboot and after removing udev.
18 >
19 > Removal of udev has caused a few (temporary) problems with useflags,
20 > because a few packages still depend directly on udev instead of the
21 > newer (!systemd ? udev) which means accept either one but not both.
22 > That will get fixed soon, I'm sure.
23 >
24 > The right way to upgrade gnome is probably to remove every gnome
25 > package on the machine, which will avoid many of the conflicts I've
26 > had to fight for the last two days -- but of course I did it the hard
27 > way instead :)
28 >
29 > You can try emerge -au gnome-light early in the update, which is
30 > simpler than emerging gnome in all its immensity, but that's no
31 > guarantee of success -- I'm sure you'll still run into conflicts
32 > between packages and useflags, but it might be a bit easier.
33 >
34 > When you see conflicting packages that won't install, I suggest
35 > deleting both packages immediately -- let portage sort out the
36 > conflicts. Just keep removing packages until portage finally
37 > stops complaining.
38 >
39 > Beware of pambase, however. I finally took Canek's advice and
40 > removed consolekit from the machine and unset the useflag for
41 > all packages, including pambase and polkit. I'd suggest you
42 > get pambase and polkit re-installed with the proper useflags
43 > before you try to reboot. Dunno if that's mandatory, but I did
44 > it that way and had no problems (yet).
45 >
46 > I've finished updating my virtual gentoo systemd machine now,
47 > but I'm still fighting with the virtual openrc machine and I'm
48 > not sure how it will turn out. More tomorrow :)
49
50 I haven't upgraded yet to the last update (although I've been using GNOME
51 3+systemd for years), but I do know this: the primary reason of GNOME's
52 dependency on systemd is logind, and logind *CANNOT* run correctly if
53 systemd is not the running init.
54
55 So you not only need to install systemd: you need to use it as init. I
56 don't even think logind can start if systemd is not running.
57
58 And actually, the long term plan is for systemd --user to basically replace
59 gnome-session-manager, so just installing systemd is not going to work at
60 all in the future, even if it *may* seems to work now (which I'm pretty
61 sure it doesn't).
62
63 systemd provides some pretty complex functionality for logind (and
64 therefore GNOME) while running; it's not just some libraries.
65
66 Regards.