From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:04:49
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Thing is, what is on the CD works for me. I been using cp for a long
6 >> time and unless it stops working, I don't plan to switch. My current
9 > Didn't you complain about gcp?
12 Nope. I didn't complain about. Never heard of until this thread that I
13 can recall. I haven't complained about gcp, cp or anything that I recall.
17 >> According to other posts, you wrote the program. Why not talk to the
18 >> people that make the CD and make your points on why it should be
19 >> included? If they are valid then maybe they will. If not, life goes on.
22 > AFAIR, the people who cretaed this CD have not been mentioned.
23 >
24 > But people who work on a Life CD should know the oldest free TAR implementation
25 > and people who use GNU tar should know about the various bugs in GNU tar and
26 > why it makes sense to avoid GNU tar if you know that star is available.
27 >
28 > Star is written and maintained by the same person since 27 years while
29 > GNU tar is the first victim of the social deficits of RMS. RMS did cause the
30 > GNU tar maintainers to run away three times because they could not stand the
31 > paternalism from RMS. GNU tar does not support any Linux specific feature
32 > altough it would be needed, star does support Linux specific features.
33 > The only explanation I see for GNU tar usually being the only tar on Linux is
34 > that there are scripts that depend on Bugs in GNU tar.....
35 >
36 > Sysadmins of bigger sites prefer star for many tasks that could also be done
37 > by other software. If you like to reduce the time to work on some tasks, you
38 > first need to spend some hours to learn about the features in star. In total
39 > you save time....
40 >
41 > I know it was not you but another person did mention some text written by
42 > a person called "fele" who has no clue. Discussing the way to do work best
43 > cannot be based on people who have no clue and starting to use new software
44 > always takes some time. People who know me know that I am always happy to help
45 > explaining how to use my software but I am doing this only if there is interest.
46 >
47 > Jörg
51 Well, I asked the question if star was on the Gentoo live CD. It was
52 posted that it was not on the CD. I don't know myself so I asked. Then
53 it was mentioned that I should ask for it to be on the CD when I don't
54 plan to use star anyway. Since it doesn't matter to me one way or the
55 other, I thought it may be better for someone who does want it on the CD
56 to ask rather than me, who doesn't really matter either way.
57
58 It is true that you are very helpful with whatever you are familiar
59 with. Thanks much for that. We all need a little help from time to
60 time. We all run into that stump sometimes. Heck, I got a big ole
61 stump in my front yard that I been bumping with the tractor. I think
62 the ants are doing better than the tractor. o_O They just take a
63 little longer. lol
64
65 Dale
66