From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 22:02:07
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > If I had to guess I'd say, since this followed a power failure where
4 > the machine was live and operating (if I've understood the thread
5 > through a quick scan) that some file on disk has gotten corrupted and
6 > it's that corruption that's causing the problem. You've checked
7 > memory. Let's assume that te processor and MB weren't damaged by this
8 > event. If that's the case - and unfortunately I don't know of any way
9 > to ensure it hasn't as it requires one to have a bit-accurate image of
10 > the machine before the power failure - there's probably no way to
11 > eliminate this as a possibility short of an emerge -e @world.
12 >
13 > It's not where I'd start. I'd probably look for core dump files or
14 > very carefully do experiment s trying to isolate exactly what part of
15 > KDE is firing off the problem. re-emerging the NVidia driver is a
16 > no-brainer as it takes no more than 1-2 minutes to test things.
17 > Rebuilding the machine is certainly more involved.
18 >
19 > If you have lots of disk space you might rsync the whole machine to a
20 > new partition to do the work, then using something other than KDE
21 > which doesn't crash rebuild the copy from a chroot which leaves the
22 > machine usable while the rebuild is going on.
23 >
24 > None of this sounds like fun...
25 >
26 > - Mark
31 I did something similar at least. I have two drives in here that are
32 for my OS. I have a third that is for data, videos, audio stuff and
33 documents. The data drive is a 750Gb. The old main OS drive is a 160Gb
34 and the spare OS drive is a 250Gb. I downloaded a stage3 tarball. I
35 then set up the spare OS drive and mounted the partitions basically
36 following the docs. I then copied over /etc, disfiles and the world
37 file. After that, I did a emerge -e world which installed everything
38 that I had before. It also has a slightly newer kernel as well.
39
40 So, after running my memtest this morning while I took a nap, I booted
41 into the new install. I checked with the mount command to make sure I
42 was in the new install too. I deleted EVERYTHING KDE in my home
43 directory. After that, I logged into KDE. A box popped up that
44 composite was disabled. It said I could hit shift alt F12 to enable.
45 After I started Firefox, it locked up complete with my keyboard lights
46 blinking again.
47
48 What does Fluxbox use as opposed to KDE? Both use the Nvidia drivers
49 right? I use KDM for my login screen and I think nvidia is loaded when
50 it starts and it uses nvidia thereafter. So, if it was the driver,
51 would it not mess up in Fluxbox too? What makes Fluxbox work and KDE fail?
52
53 Could my video card be having issues? I may take the sides off and
54 unplug replug everything and give it all a once over. Maybe just a bad
55 connection or something. Maybe?
56
57 If one of you guys were me, would you order a video card and try that?
58 Keep in mind, I have surge protection inside the UPS on the wall side.
59 I also have a surge protector strip that my modem, router, puter and
60 monitor plugs into. It's kind of hard to imagine that a surge could
61 make it through all that and not at least smell up the place a bit.
62 I'm not saying it couldn't but just hard to imagine. I got surge
63 protection coming out the ears here.
64
65 Thoughts?
66