From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:04:27
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Gentoo support for Snap is roughly as "official" as RedHat/Fedora support.
5 >
6 > See also
7 > https://www.happyassassin.net/2016/06/16/on-snappy-and-flatpak-business-as-usual-in-the-canonical-propaganda-department/
8 >
9 > Quoting from there:
10 > "The sum total of communication between Canonical and Fedora before the
11 > release of this press release was that they mailed us asking about the process
12 > of packaging snappy for Fedora, and we told them about the main packaging
13 > process and COPR. They certainly did not in any way inform Fedora that they
14 > were going to send out a press release strongly implying that Fedora, along
15 > with every other distro in the world, was now a happy traveler on the Snappy
16 > bandwagon."
17
18 By a Gnome dev on fedora-devel@:
19
20 <begin>
21 Just for the record... the Softpedia article doesn't actually say
22 "Canonical state that they have been working with Fedora developers to
23 make this the universal packaging format." It does say they've been
24 "working for some time with developers from various major GNU/Linux
25 distributions" and that "the Snap package format is working natively on
26 popular GNU/Linux operating systems like [...] Fedora [...]," so it's
27 clear why there was confusion, but it doesn't say that they've been
28 working with Fedora specifically.
29 </end>
30
31 There's one thing that's not addressed in the marketing and that's
32 Snap's are secure on Ubuntu because it uses AppArmor - and I've read a
33 post that said that they've patched AppArmor specifically to contain
34 Snaps better but I can't find that reference.