From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:24:57
1 On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 02:04:00PM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
2 >
3 > Legitimate locales are those installed with glibc. These can be shown
4 > with either "eselect locale list" or "locale -a".
5
6 Having never used eselect with locales (AFAIR) before today.
7
8 Why does "locale -a" return utf8? I know UTF-8 is accepted as standard, utf8
9 is not but usually recognized, but want to understand why "locale -a" output
10 omits the standard, which is set on my systems, and differs from the others:
11
12 o@workstation ~ $ eselect locale list
13 Available targets for the LANG variable:
14 [1] C
15 [2] POSIX
16 [3] en_US.utf8
17 [4] en_US.UTF-8 *
18 [ ] (free form)
19 mingdao@workstation ~ $ locale -a
20 C
21 POSIX
22 en_US.utf8
23 mingdao@workstation ~ $ locale
24 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
25 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
26 LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
27 LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
28 LC_COLLATE=C
29 LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
30 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
31 LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
32 LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
33 LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
34 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
35 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
36 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
37 LC_ALL=
38
39 Cheers,
40 Bruce
41 --
42 Happy Penguin Computers >')
43 126 Fenco Drive ( \
44 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
46 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
47 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
48
49 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
50 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
51 A: Top-posting.
52 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
53
54 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting