From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage sends faulty emails
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:10:27
1 On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 25 October 2009 18:13:19 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:46:19 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > > This seems like a good idea, but they are all bouncing. I'm not sure
6 > > > where it's happening, but "localhost" is being glued onto the real
7 > > > sender domain to form localhost.kosmanor.com -- which does not exist
8 > --
9 > > > causing a bounce from my email provider.
10 > >
11 > > Are you using ssmtp to send them? If so, you need to set hostname
12 > > in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf.
13 >
14 > Have a look at:
15 >
16 > http://www.destr0yr.com/article.php/Gmail_and_sSMTP
17 >
18 > to get an idea how to set up yours.
19 > --
20 > Regards,
21 > Mick
24 I use gmail for mailing lists that I subscribe to. Their archiving is a
25 perfect feature for me. However, I do not wish to use it for anything else.
26
27 The email headers do not indicate that the offending traffic went through
28 google, but prodigy.net does appear.
29
30 I do have a postfix instance running, but the only thing I expect it to do
31 is a bit of spam filtering on the odd email that comes to me directly, and
32 then send it to my ISP.
33
34 The traffic seems to originate on my system, is sent (SMTP?) to my ISP
35 (because of the TO: address), and then the story gets a bit muddy, because
36 I'm not sure which entity objects to the sender address.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD