From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swap usage creeping up
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 06:33:09
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 >> Usually you put stuff like that in /etc/sysctl.conf. IIRC the key
4 >> is vm.swappiness.
7 > Looking at the man page, I would think you are correct but I don't
8 > see a example on that setting. I'll have to google for it I guess.
9 >
10 > Putting it in rc.conf does work tho. I also used to have to
11 > adjust my fan divisor settings and I did that in rc.conf as well.
14 > IIRC you're using "echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness". If it were me
15 > if would use vm.swappiness=10 in sysctl since in this case the control
16 > option is available, then fall back to /etc/conf.d/local.start for
17 > "echo 10 >" type stuff if there was no sysctl option.
22 I googled and found this:
23
24 http://www.brunolinux.com/06-Fine_Tuning_Your_System/Swappiness.html
25
26 Then I added "vm.swappiness=20" to the sysctl.conf file. I'll check to
27 make sure it holds that setting when I reboot, whenever that is. I see
28 no reason why it shouldn't tho since that is the proper place to set it.
29
30 So you recall correctly. :-)
31
32 Dale