From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-x11
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:01:17
1 On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 03:21:55PM -0700, Penguin Lover Gmail squawked:
2 > My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
3 > install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
4 > or XFCE4 are used?
5
6 Depends. For the most part if you just run emerge a DE or a WM, or an
7 X-based application, the dependencies will pull in any bits of X that
8 you will need to have it run.
9
10 xorg-x11 is just a meta ebuild that lists a large part of what may be
11 used for running X. Not everything in it are used by every program.
12
13 I installed xorg-x11 personally because I had some home-made add-ons
14 to fvwm that depends on various X utilities that are generally not a
15 dependency of anything else. It is slighly more convenient to have
16 xorg-x11 in my world file instead of the dozen or so small utilities.
17
18 Cheers,
19
20 W
21 --
22 Thesaurus: ancient reptile with an excellent vocabulary.
23 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1116 days, 23:51