From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPsec
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 19:08:04
1 On Tue, Apr 6, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > But I've started to get some more experience using IPsec without IKE
3 > recently.
6 Can you clarify why you need to use IPsec? If it is to support a commercial
7 client you may be better off handing them a system based around BSD. More
8 flexibility will be had from Linux, but pfSense/OPNsense gives you a point and
9 click web terminal which is easier to train in house IT on due to the
10 documentation available. The modes are also usually sufficient -- site to site
11 tunnel (like the appliances you're used to using), intranet protection, and
12 routing options for the same.
13
14 If you control everything you can use wireguard or OpenVPN.
15
16 To answer some of your later questions in summary:
17 1. Of the projects libreswan seems to best maintained, though openswan still
18 releases regularly. I would start with libreswan. For racoon, see
19 https://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/ipsec/rasvpn.html.
20 2. Yes, see
21 https://libreswan.org/wiki/VPN_server_for_remote_clients_using_IKEv2. Don't
22 worry about embedding key material in your scripts (unless you expect someone
23 has bugged your monitor). The key material has to be on disk in some form
24 anyway. Typical usage has the tunnel creation commands referencing key
25 material. Bash disables history in noninteractive shells by default.
26 3. Drop opportunistic encryption. It's best if you or the user knows if the
27 network is secure or not.
28 4. The authentication header (AH) does not provide "security." Encapsulating
29 security payload (ESP) provides confidentiality and, if selected,
30 authentication. Check the docs -- usually you want authentication and
31 confidentiality, merely confidentiality allows some classes of attacks.
32 5. Transport mode may be most appropriate, however you could have tunnels
33 between all servers for redundancy.
34 6. Setting up the public key infrastructure will be most of the headache.
35
36 > This is working and does enable IPsec /transport/ /mode/ between
37 > $LeftHost and $RightHost. But it's completely manual at the moment.
40 Doesn't seem manual if you've got a script for it. A lot of people stop here.
41
42 If you need consulting time I can offer it, but reading the linked pages should
43 get you far enough along. I won't mind answering things in public but do
44 wonder about your interest in IPsec.