From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD Radeon R7 370 (Pitcairn) causing the bootup to hang
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 13:33:12
1 On Monday, 4 May 2020 01:21:09 BST Ashley Dixon wrote:
2
3 > Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm moving away from NVIDIA due to
4 > the requirement of proprietary drivers to get any decent performance,
5 > however now it feels as though the AMD drivers, although open-source,
6 > consist of too many bugs (such as hanging the boot-up process for some
7 > reason or another) to be of any actual use. Whilst I'm aware that is
8 > obviously not the case due to the popularity of their cards, I am
9 > bewildered at how difficult this seems.
10
11 I have a Radeon Pro WX 5100, which uses a Polaris chipset. I don't know
12 whether it's Polaris10, ..11 or ..12 so I have all three installed. Together
13 with linux-firmware 20200421 and a corresponding savedconfig file. I know it's
14 not the same as yours, but there must be some similarities.
15
16 Referring to the Wiki you cite, I don't have AMDGPU support for SI or CIK
17 parts. DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR=y. Under Display Engine Configuration, only the first
18 option shown in the Wiki is present in my kernel config (5.4.28), but it has an
19 option DSC support, which is Y. HSA kernel driver is Y, not M. I don't have
20 any PCI sound device entries since my on-board chipset failed.
21
22 It's important to set DRM_AMDGPU=y, not =m, so that the necessary drivers are
23 all present at boot time. Or you could include them in an initramfs.
24
25 Do you have CONFIG_FB_EFI=y and CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE=y? Your problem may be in
26 handing over the console to the frame buffer - I think I remember having
27 difficulty here as well. CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set here.
28
29 Contrary to the Wiki, I don't have Laptop Hybrid Graphics set, because this
30 isn't a laptop and I don't want any of the switcheroo it would bring in. Then
31 again, the Wiki may just want it for debugging.
32
33 /etc/environment is empty here.
34
35 I hope that helps, even if only to eliminate some possibilities.
36
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Peter.