From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 17:05:01
1 On 6/22/19 2:13 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > These USE flags are the same like mine.
3
4 ACK
5
6 > I don't think it is a shell related problem (but may be wrong).
7
8 I think we need to be very careful and specific what part we think is
9 shell (thus possibly readline) related vs terminal emulator related vs
10 something else. (See my recent reply discussing an old school TTY
11 terminal.)
12
13 > After all changing the shell option in .bashrc does not affect the
14 > display within the xterm window.
15
16 "shell option in .bashrc"???
17
18 Are you launching a different shell from Bash? (.bashrc is inherently
19 Bash.)
20
21 Or are you using Bash as your interactive shell and using a different
22 shell for sub-commands / forks / etc.?
23
24 > This is the problem I was describing as 'annoying'. Xterm draws the
25 > output once to fill in the real estate of the current xterm window,
26 > but changing the window width does not redraw each line to reflow it
27 > across the new window width.
28
29 Agreed. This is the behavior I've seen (and expected) from XTerm for 20
30 years.
31
32 > Apologies for my confusing description - I'll have another go below.
33
34 ;-)
35
36 Confusion is okay as long as we work to clarify things. That's part of
37 communicating effectively.
38
39 > I ran ldd and as is logical I can see there are some differences in
40 > the libs used by both programs. Neither of them use libterm.
41
42 I was fairly certain that XTerm did not use libterm. I didn't know
43 about (u)rxvt. I think some other—possibly more common—terminal
44 emulators do use it.
45
46 Aside: I consider urxvt to be a Unicode varient of rxvt. Much like
47 uxterm is a Unicode varient (mode)of xterm. To me, both of these pairs
48 are largely interchangeable for the conversation that we're having.
49 Please correct me if you think I'm wrong on this point.
50
51 > In my systems urxvt will wrap lines when shrinking the width of
52 > the window AND unwrap them when increasing the width of the window.
53 > This is happening in real time as the window expands/contracts.
54
55 This is the behavior that I'm seeing with urxvt as well.
56
57 I have never seen XTerm exhibit this behavior. (At least not without
58 something else inside of XTerm that does it, e.g. screen or tmux.)
59
60 > Again in my systems xterm will truncate lines when shrinking the width
61 > of the window. This truncated output is now lost. Increasing the
62 > width of the window will not restore the truncated lines. Scrolling up
63 > will now draw lines in the new full width of the xterm window, but
64 > the truncated lines remain truncated and their information is lost.
65
66 Agreed. This is what I've seen and come to expect from XTerm after
67 using it for 20 years.