From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OpenVPN and IPsec
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:18:59
1 On 2008-12-11, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I would like to set up a VPN connection to a router which is using IKE &
5 > IPsec: http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25474&seqNum=7
6 >
7 > Would I be able to achieve this using OpenVPN on my gentoo box?
8
9 AFAICT, no. OpenVPN uses SSL/TLS.
10
11 > I read the IPsec HowTo and scared myself to death (it seems
12 > long enough to warrant me taking time off work to read it . .
13 > . and at least another day to try it ;)
14
15 You might want to have a look at the OpenVPN docs, but my
16 understanding is that OpenVPN isn't compatible with IPSec/IKE.
17 From the OpenVPN FAQ:
18
19 OpenVPN's security model can be summarized as such: Use the
20 IPSec ESP protocol for tunnel packet security, but then
21 drop IKE in favor of SSL/TLS for session authentication.
22 This allows for a lightweight, portable VPN implementation
23 that draws on IPSec's strengths, without introducing the
24 complexity of IKE.
28 Grant Edwards grante Yow! FOOLED you! Absorb
29 at EGO SHATTERING impulse
30 visi.com rays, polyester poltroon!!