From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc update
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:05:33
1 On 18/03/09 Alan McKinnon said:
2
3 > You said "glibc is the basis of the whole system". That's not quite true,
4 > it's actually "glibc provides the C library, which is a collection of basic
5 > function calls that just about every other program uses sooner or later"
6
7 I wasn't sure if any interface changes had been made. Looking at the glibc 2.8
8 release notes, it doesn't look like it but I wanted to check before upgrading.
9 It makes me nervous. :)
10
11 > If there's an issues, revdep-rebuild will pick them up.
12
13 Ok, good.
14
15 > Sometimes, glibc is all fsck'ed up. Like sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201-r1. It
16 > looks great, till you start firefox and find that it doesn't run anymore...
17
18 So, how would I know, in general, whether it's safe to upgrade when it appears
19 in my emerge output? Just ask here? My BSD box has a /usr/ports/UPDATING file
20 that I check before upgrading ports for any notices...
21
22 > No, glibc might need updated kernel headers. The compiler uses them when
23 > building glibc - the headers tell the compiler what data structures,
24 > functions etc look like so that the glibc it builds can talk to whatever
25 > kernel you choose to run later.
26
27 So will it use /usr/src/linux by default? If so then I'm ok...
28
29 > The only time you really need to update the kernel headers is if they
30 > provide some new features you want to take advantage of. The interface that
31 > the kernel provides to userspace is virtually frozen and Linus simply never
32 > changes it.
33
34 Good to know.
35
36 > In short, updating glibc is as safe as updating any other piece of software,
37 > as long as it has no known major bugs that cause you issues.
38
39 Ok, thanks for the response.
40
41 Mike
42 --
43 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
44 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
45 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
46 --Albert Einstein