From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync + tar + bz2 ?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:01:42
1 * Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm backing up numerous large files on another machine on my
4 > local network.
5
6 Let me suggest another idea:
7
8 Put a venti on the remote machine and push the tree to be backed
9 up with vac. Never think about maintaining incremental backups
10 anymore - just pull in the stuff, and venti will store equal
11 data blocks only once. All you now have to do is to put the
12 root score (printed out by vac) into some safe place.
13 You can even directly mount the backup via vacfs :)
16 cu
17 --
19 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
21 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
22 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
23 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
24 http://patches.metux.de/