From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wayland - too early to try?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:52:11
1 On Tuesday 11 Jul 2017 17:51:03 Franz Fellner wrote:
2 > > Additional question: will keyboard selection keybindings for different
3 > > languages be read off /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf? In particular,
4 > >
5 > > Option "XkbLayout"
6 > > Option "XkbOptions"
7 > >
8 > > which help me toggle the keyboard between different languages. Or is a
9 > > different mechanism required for (X)Wayland?
10 >
11 > You have to go a different route: Either it is directly configurable via WM
12 > (AFAIK enlightenment has a keybord module) or you have to set
13 > XKB_DEFAULT_LAYOUT envvar.
14
15 OKie dOKie, I set USE=wayland globally and just installed dev-libs/efl-9999
16 and x11-wm/enlightenment-9999 from bar overlay. I had to disable opengl and
17 sdl, enable egl gles and a number of packages were emerged/re-emerged.
18
19 I am now running the newly compiled enlightenment and it is more stable than
20 before. Nothing has crashed so far and I have not been able to reproduce the
21 previous mesa/dri problems with application tooltips freezing the whole
22 desktop.
23
24 Also, fonts look clearer, rendering seems faster, compositing smoother.
25 Switching languages in line with my settings in 10-evdev.conf is working as it
26 should. However, perhaps it is a silly question:
27
28 How do I know if wayland is running and if it has a hand in all this goodness?
29
30 I don't see any running process called wayland ...
31
32 These are the two enlightenment desktop related packages emerged from overlay
33 with their flags:
34
35 # emerge -1aDv @enlightenment
36
37 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
38
39 Calculating dependencies... done!
40 [ebuild R *] dev-libs/efl-9999:0/9999::bar USE="X bmp eet egl fontconfig
41 fribidi gif gles ico nls pdf physics png postscript ppm psd pulseaudio sndfile
42 ssl svg tga tiff v4l2 wayland webp -avahi -cxx-bindings -debug -doc -drm -
43 fbcon -glib -gnutls -gstreamer -harfbuzz -ibus -jpeg2k -libuv -opengl (-
44 pixman) -raw -scim -sdl -static-libs -system-lz4 -systemd {-test} -tslib -xim
45 -xine -xpm" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
46 [ebuild R ~] x11-terms/terminology-1.0.0::gentoo USE="nls -doc" 0 KiB
47 [ebuild R ~] x11-wm/enlightenment-9999:0.17/9999::bar USE="eeze nls pam
48 ukit wayland -doc -egl -pm-utils -static-libs -systemd"
49 ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="appmenu backlight battery bluez4 clock conf-
50 applications conf-bindings conf-dialogs conf-display conf-interaction conf-
51 intl conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme
52 conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers connman contact cpufreq
53 everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox lokker mixer msgbus music-
54 control notification pager pager16 quickaccess shot start syscon systray tasks
55 teamwork temperature tiling winlist wizard xkbswitch -access -packagkit -wl-
56 desktop-shell -wl-drm -wl-fb -wl-x11" 0 KiB
57
58 Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
59
60 2nd question:
61
62 What are the following enlightenment modules for?
63
64 wl-desktop-shell
65 wl-drm
66 wl-fb
67 wl-x11
68
69 Do I need these to run wayland, or is the wayland USE flang alone sufficient?
72 Regards,
73 Mick