From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:54:28
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 20:43:06 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have used --skipfirst before but I also don't think it is a good
5 >> idea. For a idiot like me to say that must mean something. I guess it
6 >> would depend on the package as to whether it could be skipped or not.
7 >> If I do a emerge -e world, I prefer nothing to fail else what is the point?
10 > Sometimes stuff does fail - you can't fully know beforehand if an ebuild will
11 > succeed or not. --skipfirst is perfectly safe if you have looked at the
12 > package list and know that there's no dependency issues. The danger is
13 > blindly resuming without understanding the consequences.
14 >
15 > For example, lets assume there's a package called alan-fonts-meta which
16 > depends on 20 fancy wingding-type fonts. Lets also assume that I was a dork
17 > when coding one font ebuild at 4am and botched the SRC_URI. That ebuild will
18 > fail, but you know for sure that you can safely --resume --skipfirst
19 > (followed by a scathing email with a blunt instrument as payload).
20 >
21 > Other examples exist. OTOH, if the expat upgrade of some months ago failed, a
22 > blind resume would likely have caused endless troubles.
26 That was my point in a round about way. If you don't know, don't use
27 --skipfirst since it could mess up some stuff and turn your puter into a
28 mess after logging out or a reboot. I'm thinking some of the more
29 serious system packages with that.
30
31 Me, I don't even claim to know so I either ask or fix what borked. LOL
32
33 Dale
34