From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop internal speakers no longer working after recent updates
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:19:04
1 On Monday, 30 August 2021 21:03:02 BST Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 30. August 2021, 13:30:03 CEST schrieb Michael:
3
4 > > There was a recent move to pipewire which could have jumbled audio devices
5 > > around for you - but I am not familiar with how pipewire works, or why it
6 > > would have caused this problem.
7 > >
8 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire
9 >
10 > I did not install pipewire, so we can exclude this.
11
12 Cool, this makes it simpler, at least for me. :-)
15 > Here is output of aplay -l:
16 > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
17 > card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
18 > Subdevices: 0/1
19 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
20 > card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
21 > Subdevices: 0/1
22 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
23 > card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
24 > Subdevices: 0/1
25 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
26 > card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC257 Analog [ALC257
27 > Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
28 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
29 > card 3: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
30 > Subdevices: 0/1
31 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
32
33 OK, you need to set card 1, device 0 as default.
36 > I added an old USB headset for testing, and *this* card (card 3) is shown in
37 > pavcontrol and kde-plasma audio settings, along with the three sub-devices
38 > of card 0; however, card 1 is not shown. In alsamixer and aplay I can see
39 > the device as "Generic_1", and -- after finding out the pcm name of it via
40 > aplay -L -- I could play some wav file with aplay on it:
41 >
42 > aplay -D front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0 some_wav_file.wav
43 >
44 > It seems to be a pulseaudio problem, which seems to arbitrarily ignoring
45 > Generic_1 card.
46
47 Hmm ... not on PC with pa at the moment to compare notes. The USB device will
48 be initialised by udev, but Generic_1 will require a different approach.
49
50 Have you looked under your kmix configuration, the "Volume Control" tab? If
51 it is listed in there, you may just need to tick it in order to enable it.
52 Also check under the configuration setting "Select Master Channel".
55 > > Alternatively, take a look at this method of controlling the order in
56 > > which
57 > > audio modules are loaded:
58 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Laptops_with_HDMI_audio_output
59 >
60 > Thanks for the link, brought me to inspect /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf.
61 > Corrected the number of sound cards there, but did not help :-(
62 > I remember to have edited this file about 10 years ago, not sure if those
63 > settings are still relevant.
64 >
65 > Cheers, Alex
66
67 If the alsa drivers are not compiled as modules, the above file would not have
68 any effect. Anyway, let's try this in /etc/asound.conf:
69
70 defaults.pcm.card 1
71 defaults.pcm.device 0
72 defaults.ctl.card 1
73
74 On a reboot your Generic_1 analogue card should be available and recognised as
75 the default audio device. You may need to unmute it, via pactl or kmix.