From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:34:32
1 Hi,
2
3 I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
4 built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
5 -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
6 that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
7 based machine (still AMD64)
8
9 But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
10 an illegal instruction. So I have to rebuild GenToo nearly
11 from scratch. emerge -e world doesn't work.
12
13 So, what is a reasonably fast method?
14
15 I'd like to keep
16 /etc
17 /usr/portage except /usr/portage/packages
18 /var/lib/portage
19
20 Is there a fast method e.g. by using the Gentoo based
21 SystemRescueCD to reinstall a very basic system, such that
22 I can do emerge -e world.
23 It looks as if the gcc tool-chain is intact since I could
24 compile a kernel without any problem.
25 But some utilities, e.g. find, die of an illegal instruction.
26
27 Many thanks for any hints saving me a couple of hours work,
28
29 Helmut.