From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 10:06:00
1 On Sun, 24 May 2009 01:52:45 -0700
2 Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:08:50 -0300
5 > Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Now, I do have concerns about your system having remains of multiple
8 > > python installations.
9 > >
10 > > Any person with python knowledge can give an opinion on whether this
11 > > is dangerous? And what is the easiest way to clean the mess?
12 >
13 > Python is designed to work with multiple versions installed. Therefore,
14 > the ebuild is also slotted so you can have multiple versions installed.
15 > Use "eselect python" to choose which one you want to use as the
16 > default. Also, don't forget to run python-updater after recent changes
17 > that installed Python 2.6 for you. You can always unmerge the specific
18 > old version afterwards. e.g.
19 > "emerge --unmerge =dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2"
20 You don't seem to have taken into account that he has installed
21 multiple vanilla python versions *manually* (with ./configure, make, and
22 make install as root), to /usr, and then installed Python with Portage.