From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:54:27
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
3 > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
4 > environments.
5 >
6 > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280
7 >
8 > Summary: Try the latest KDE. You might get pleasantly surprised.
9
10 In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
11 don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
12 don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
13 whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
14 should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
15 desktop.
16
17 I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
18 it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
19 KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.
20
21 There is no "best" desktop environment. There are only preferences.
22
23 I like GNOME 3 a lot, and (in my personal case) it has helped me to
24 actually improve my productivity in my what I do; other users may
25 experience the opposite, even if they do exactly the same things I do.
26 Other users maybe do something completely different, and they may also
27 benefit from GNOME 3.
28
29 Really, use whatever floats your boat. And if you don't like a
30 particular software (or developer, or design), then simply don't use
31 it.
32
33 I really, really, *really* don't like KDE. I have never done (and I
34 tried versions 1, 2, and 3; I lost interest in trying for version 4);
35 but I have *never* told anyone that they should not use it, nor
36 criticized their users and developers. It's none of my business; I
37 don't like it, therefore I don't use it.
38
39 Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho
40 ajeno es la paz. Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the
41 rights of others is peace.
42
43 Regards.
44 --