From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dinosaur Matrox Mystique: corruption
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:00:43
1 On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:50:14 +1000
2 "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I gather that there was a bug in the mga drivers some time ago, and it
5 > appears that the xorg drivers have incorporated the patches I have seen
6 > during my google searches.
9 I had one running on Gentoo last year, before the motherboard on an
10 800 MHz Athlon Slot-A died. X ran fine.
11
12 > I do wonder what to do about framebuffers, though. Tiring of the battle,
13 > after many years of avoiding framebuffers,
14
15 Have you tried just using - vesa? Or vga? It should work. Turning on everything
16 is always a sure way to break a kernel.
20 > lost, and using Firefox at least, when I type Ctrl-L, the frame displays
21 > properly until it is scrolled again. I have found descriptions of similar
22 > issues on the Inet, but nothing that has helped get my system to work
23 > properly. Does this symptom ring a bell with anyone?
26 Generally, it's because the gfx card can't refresh from it's internal memory fast enough.
27 As I recall, the Mystique had an optional memory module, which I have on mine. Perhaps
28 its just that your trying to use too high a resolution and hitting the cards performance
29 limits?
30
31 With due respect, save up your pennies and get a current Gfx card. Should be around
32 US$42. Sure, that's a months wages in some parts of the world. But still - throwing a massively
33 powerful processor in a system with a dead-end Gfx card is kind of wasteful, unless you're making
34 this thing into a server.
35
36 Bob
37 -