From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs: subvol without compression
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:46:59
1 Am 20.06.2014 12:07, schrieb Marc Joliet:
2
3 > From my own google search, at least up to 2011 per-subvolume
4 > compression settings were not possible. Then, after subsequently
5 > searching on the btrfs wiki for a while, I finally found an answer:
6 > no. See this FAQ entry:
7 >
8 > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_mount_subvolumes_with_different_mount_options.3F
9 >
10 > [...]
11
12 This seems to be the same for the option nodatacow.
13
14 I wanted to test this with VM-images in a separate subvolume, and with
15 this script:
16
17 https://github.com/stsquad/scripts/blob/master/uncow.py
18
19 It was mentioned here:
20
21 https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_copy-on-write_be_turned_off_for_data_blocks.3F
22
23 Does somebody already have experience with turning off COW for
24 specific files like VM images?
25
26 I would like to take 2 demo VMs with me on my thinkpad, and there I
27 don't have that much flexibility to add another hdd w/ ext4 or something.
28
29 As far as I have seen so far, for demoing the performance isn't too
30 bad anyway.
31
32 Stefan