From: glen martin <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown pauses partway with "Give root password"
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 16:04:13
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:20:57 -0700 glen martin <lists@××××××××.org>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 >> Resending ... anyone have a clue as to why the "Give root password for
8 >> maintenance ..." prompt would come up occasionally at shutdown time?
9 >>
10 > That's "sulogin". Did you mess up your /etc/inittab (like uncommenting
11 > that line referring to sulogin)?
12 >
13 Nope, I don't recall ever changing that file on this system, and
14 checking I find that this line is still commented. Though that would
15 probably have been a problem. :)
16 > But I rather guess its an unclean umount and sulogin is spawned
17 > from /etc/init.d/halt.sh (l.189).
18 >
19 Possibly. Looking at that file it seems as if there's a 10 second(?)
20 timeout on sulogin spawned from halt.sh. This one doesn't go away in any
21 reasonable period of time. Also it looks as if there should be some
22 messages about remounting and such before that sulogin would spawn, and
23 I don't see such messages (presuming they should show up on this console).
24
25 If it is starting from halt.sh, is there any chance this could be a race
26 condition thing, in which some processes aren't fully shut down yet when
27 halt tries to umount?
28 > Maybe you can cat your /proc/mounts
29 > next time you're in that single-user mode? It might make things more
30 > clear...
31 I'll try this.
32
33 Thanks for the suggestions,