From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:17:12
1 On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:02:31 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > As long as OpenRC is the default init system in Gentoo, it is on
5 > those who want something *other* than OpenRC (ie, systemd) to do the
6 > work of implementing it.
7
8 It's the job of whoever wants any init system to work to make it work,
9 isn't it? There's no magic that makes the default work without
10 it being someone's job to make it work.
11
12 No matter what the default is, for any init system to work, there has
13 to be a group of people committed to making it work. There are such
14 groups for OpenRC and systemd within Gentoo. And since Gentoo is about
15 choice, each group bears the burden of doing whatever is reasonable to
16 make sure it doesn't interfere with users' ability to run whichever
17 system they want. Reaching a consensus about "whatever is reasonable"
18 isn't always a pretty process, but they have to do it anyway.
19
20 I'm an OpenRC user, and I intend to remain one, but I wouldn't mind if
21 Gentoo had no default init system and the user would have to choose
22 one at install time via a profile choice, eselect, or just a bunch of
23 USE flags, as long as the choices are well documented.