From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 07:46:40
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com>
3 > Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 20:13
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
6 >
7 > What switch would you folks recommend?
8 > I'm planning getting to the bottom of it including replacing switch and cable if
9 > I have to.
10
11 At home I'm using Netgear GS305E/GS308E with no particular issue. The 'E' stands for managed, I never use management features except for checking the port status (nice to have, but LEDs give the same information) and in some particular, business-related configuration, to enable port mirroring. I haven't tried yet to set up a VLAN or configure QoS parameters, which I think would be the main reason to prefer a managed over a non-managed.
12 Since I always used Netgear I can't say if they are better than others.
13 I think you are already aware that unless all cable patches are at least CAT5e you're not going to get 1Gb speed. The 'e' here makes a real difference over the plain CAT5.
14
15 Raffaele