From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:37:41
1 Hello all,
2
3 Getting very frustrated here. Trying to put the finishing touches on a
4 new laptop install. I have verified using the CLI that both wired and
5 wireless networking works fine when I configure manually. As with most
6 laptops, I would imagine, I will be switching locations often, and
7 switching between several different networks both wired and wireless.
8 I thought the thing to do would be to install a slick gui to take care
9 of this. To that end I installed NetworkManager, and KNetworkManager
10 as a front-end as I use a KDE desktop. As far as I can tell Network
11 Manager is working fine, I followed the instructions for setup from
12 the wiki here[0] and here[1], and it does seem to setup a wired
13 connection on eth0 just fine. However, I am getting an error upon
14 trying to start Knetworkmanager:
15
16 " KNetworkManager can not start because the installation is misconfigured.
17 System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings.
18 contact your system administrator or distribution.
19 KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future."
20
21 Not sure why, as per the wiki I added:
22
23 <policy group="plugdev">
24 <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
25
26 <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
27 send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
28 </policy>
29
30 to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf, and added my user to
31 plugdev group. Is there something else I'm missing? I'm unsure how to
32 further troubleshoot. I also tried the NetworkManager plasmoid for
33 kde, but that is just bombing with a bunch off error messages I can't
34 read in the 'connections' window.
35
36 I am wondering if I should just uninstall KNetworkManager, and try
37 nm-applet? Will that even work on a KDE desktop? Will it require
38 installing boatloads of gnome crap I don't want? Should I chuck the
39 whole works and use Wicd?
40
41 At this point I'd be happy with pretty much any solution that just
42 works, I've wasted the better half of the day on this and I'm starting
43 to think I should just stick to using the CLI...this frustration just
44 isn't worth it.
45
46 Do any of you folks out there have an easy, simple solution to
47 configuring wireless that you like? I'm open to any ideas.
48
49 [0] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NetworkManager
50 [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/KNetworkManager
51 --
52 Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
53 I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/