From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on ssds? intel anyone?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:21:08
1 On Donnerstag 19 November 2009, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Greets, gentoo-users,
3 > I hope not to bring up some boring ricer-topic ;-)
4 >
5 > I am thinking of getting one of those shiny new SSDs for my main
6 > workstation. Not that I really *need* it, my box is performing well, I
7 > admit that I am curious and somehow childish ... some way of getting
8 > myself a christmas present or something like that ...
9 >
10 > anyway
11 >
12 > Although I read of Intel's various firmware-problems with their SSDs, I
13 > tend to buy one of their 80GB X25-M G2 Postville SSDs.
14 >
15 > I definitely *know* that I will shake my head a few months later at how
16 > I could spend that much money for those few and slow gigs of ssd ... but
17 > ... (think 100$ for 128MB usb-stick ... you know ...)
18 >
19 > I think of using that ssd for my gentoo-os-partition(s) and I wonder if
20 > one of you is already doing that. And I would like to hear of any
21 > problems/blockers/sensations this brings.
22 >
23 > Thanks for any infos, I'd be happy to hear whatever your experience is ...
24 >
25 > Stefan
28 since ssds don't like write/erase cycles you should only put your system on
29 the ssd. Everything else, PORTDIR, PKGDIR, /var, /tmp, /usr/tmp and /usr/src
30 should be on a harddisk.