From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 03:38:34
1 On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 07:52:54 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 13/04/2015 03:38, »Q« wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 21:24:48 -0400
6 > > Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
7
8 > >> Also, using the KDE profile and having USE="-*" seem contrary. One
9 > >> of the main reasons to use a profile is to get a relevant set of
10 > >> USE flags.
11 > >
12 > > I don't want the profile's USE flags, but I still thought it best to
13 > > select the profile that matches what I use the machine for.
14 >
15 > A profile is indeed intended to match the intended use of the machine,
16 > and to do that it does two things:
17 >
18 > - enables or disables some software (the minor feature)
19 > - sets some sane default USE (the major feature)
20 >
21 > USE="-*" essentially undoes the profile entirely rendering it useless.
22 > You'd be better off just setting your profile to default and doing all
23 > the heavy lifting yourself instead of going with the maintainers
24 > suggestions implemented in the profile.
25
26 I rarely have to mess with changing USE flags as it is now, but setting
27 them up from scratch (something I haven't done in many years) after
28 clobbering the profile's defaults was heavy lifting, for me at least.
29 If I ever have to do it again, I'll check out using a simpler profile
30 without clobbering its USE.