From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:47:02
1 On 4/10/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > *sigh*
4 > >
5 > > Why is there always something breaking?
6 >
7 > Maybe a ~x86 system just isn't for you....
8
9 I'll second this one... You don't seem prepared for the testing tree...
12 > > * Dependancy info is missing! Please run
13 > > * #/sbin/depscan.sh
14 > > * to fix this.
15 >
16 > This message is generated by /lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh. It
17 > tries to read /var/lib/init.d/deptree, and looks for a specific
18 > variable to be set that indicates the dependacy information was read.
19 >
20 > Does /var/lib/init.d/deptree exist on your system? It should have
21 > several hundred lines in the form of:
22 >
23 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[0]=69
24 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10]="consolefont"
25 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+2]="keymaps localmount"
26 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+3]=
27 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+4]=
28 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+5]=
29 > RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+6]="local"
30 >
31 > You can also try running depscan.sh with the --debug option to see
32 > what, exactly, it does.
33 >
34 > My best guess at this point though is that /var/lib/init.d no longer
35 > exists for some reason. Is /var a separate filesystem? Did it get
36 > mounted?
37
38 Yes, that's my bet too, maybe a baselayout update followed by a wrong
39 etc-update?! I once had to remove the file and reemerge the app so it
40 would update the configuration.
41
42 To do that, I booted the livecd, chrooted and reemerged the failing
43 app, you could do that for your system, you'll probably get networking
44 without mess with ifconfig or iwconfig (because you seem unfamiliar
45 with these tools). There you could reemerge it all, even update it,
46 but sincerely, you should not need network to reemerge something
47 already emerged once (don't clean your distfiles before being sure you
48 don't need them anymore).
51 Daniel da Veiga
52 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list